As a parent, you may be finding it difficult to gather all the information necessary to learn to adjust your life to living with someone with Autism Spectrum Disorder. There are many resources available online, and we have compiled some here so that you can have a head start.
Resources for Parents of Children with Autism
Please take your time to look through these resources so that you can learn more about Autism and what you can do to help your child.
- Autism Speaks
- Florida Autism Awareness
- Autism Pensacola
- Pensacola Guardianship Help
- Autism Society
- Autism Florida
- Florida Autism
- Autism Now
- Autism Resources for Families
- Autism Research Institute
- National Autism Association
- CDC Autism Page
- Association for Science in Autism Treatment
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents
- Operation Autism for Military Families
- Academic Accommodation Resources
- Temple Grandin’s Teaching Tips
- Estate Planning for Parents of Kids with Autism
Books for Autism
- A Work in Progress Leaf, R.; McEachin, J. (1999). New York, DRL Books, L.L.C.
- Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism Maurice, C., Green, G., & Luce, S. (1996). Austin, PRO-ED, Inc.
- Sense and Nonsense in the Behavioral Treatment of Autism: It Has To Be Said Leaf, R.; McEachin, J.; and Taubman, M. (2008). New York, DRL Books, Inc.
Books By Authors With Autism
- “Thinking in Pictures” by Temple Grandin
- “The Autistic Brain” by Temple Grandin
- “Look Me in The Eye” by John Elder Robison
- “The Reason I Jump” by Naoki Higashida
- “How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Asperger’s”
by Jennifer McIlwee Myers
Books by Parents of Autistic Children
- “The Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism” by Shannon Des Rochas Rosa and Jennifer Byde Myers
- “A Regular Guy: Growing up with Autism” by Laura Shumaker
- “Carly’s Voice: Breaking Through Autism” by Arthur Fleischmann and Carly Fleischmann
Books for Education Resources and Law
- “Family to Family Network” http://www.familytofamilynetwork.org/
- “Wrightslaw” http://www.wrightslaw.com/
- “Special Education Law” Peter W.D. Wright, Esq., Pamela Darr Wright, M.A., MSW
- “From Emotions to Advocacy, The Special Education Survival Guide” by Pam Wright and Pete Wright